In my opinion, friendship is in the details, wouldn't you agree? It is in shared experiences, moments, stories. It is in the little facts that only your friend know about you. It is in the times you're together, sharing in laughter, happiness, awkwardness, even sadness. I don't want to lose that with any of you guys. Friendships need to be active, tended to and cared for, if they are to last. They must be exercised, taken to a metaphorical Zumba class if you will, or else they will grow weak and sluggish. I don't want to end up being Facebook "friends" with any of you. It would just be sad, and all of you are so lovely that I can't stand to see it happen.
Okay so as you can tell, I have been thinking about this for a while. Thinking of a way for us to all stay in contact that is. Now the only tried and true method I have seen used involves a pair of traveling pants, but seeing as we aren't blessed with such an item, I had to take that off of the table. Next, I thought, well why don't we just have a massive group pen-pal thing. I know I am quite fond of receiving actual physical mail with like stamps and envelopes and everything, but seeing as how we are all on limited budgets and postage can be expensive, it too soon became unreasonable. Besides, letter writing is nice (and I would love to receive mail from all of you every once in a while), but it lacks the immediacy that we would need in our communication. Then I stumbled upon the lovely podcast Call Your Girlfriend, advertised as, "a podcast for long distance besties everywhere", in which two best friends, Aminatu Soo and Ann Friedman, have regular chats that are recorded for our listening pleasure. They are lovely, smart ladies and we would do wonderfully making our own version (the podcast is really great and you should all check it out), but there is the question of equipment and how to make a podcast, and in the end I felt that the podcast is more for an audience than for the people creating it. Okay so like I said, a lot of thinking.
But then I had this idea.
What about a blog. A multi-user blog in which we all write to each other. Filling each other in on what is happening in our lives, building on the details if you will. Now, this is only going to work if we make a dedicated effort to upkeep it. We can't let it go by the way side. So we need a schedule. I'm thinking a weekly post from everyone would be a good start, and everyone could pick a day to post so we aren't flooded with posts on one day. Whatever we do we need to be committed, details can hashed out later.
I don't know what you all are thinking about this, but I look forward to finding out.
Sincerely,
Jordan :)
No comments:
Post a Comment