Hey gals.
Yes, I said gals. I guess it’s my time to write my
going-to-college-farewell-so-long-post.
But first I have a few PSAs.
PSA
#1:
Jordan, I think this is a GREAT idea, and I commend you for bringing it to our
attentions, I’m so excited to read everyone’s posts about your time at college!
PSA
#2:
In an answer to your question, Juliet, I think that you are so smart and
totally capable of pursing any path in medicine that you want. You’re like one
of the smartest people I know.
Okay so I’ll start now.
I’m really going to miss you guys. I think that the
past, two years for some of you, four years for others, with you guys have been
some of the best. You all have been my best friends, my comrades, my confidants
etc. and I will miss you all so much. It really bums me out that we won’t all
get the chance to hang out one more time, but hopefully we’ll reunite again
sometime soon!
Right about now, I’m watching 20/20 “Sleeping with
the Enemy,” sitting in an orange chair, with the blinds shut, scared out of my
mind and avoiding summer work (yes, I leave in 10 days…sue me). So I’ve decided
to write, and just to make sure I cover everything, I’m going to have different
sections, so bear with me.
Dorm/Roommates:
So as some of you guys know I’ve pretty much had my roommate situation settled
since like April. My roommate is awesome, and we have a lot in common (love of
the Mindy Project and Disney movies to name a few). She’s from Singapore, so
she’s an international student, so we’ll see how that works out. She’s also a
Hotelie (Hotel School), so I think her major is Hotel something-or-other and
management (what a horrible roommate I am). I also have “pod” mates, whose
identities I “officially” do not know, although Facebook has taught me a lot.
Packing:
Well up until 5 pm Saturday I had two mini fridges. My mommy and I had a bit of
a fiasco last weekend. We rushed out and bought a fridge, did research, then
bought another. We then unpacked both, compared them, made an educated decision
then had to pack one back up and transport it back. It was VERY tedious. The
floor in my room is covered with clothing, and suitcases and the basement has a
bunch of crates. I’ve been doing laundry since forever.
PSA#
3:
If you get a mini fridge, let it sit upright and unplugged for at least 24 hours
so that all the cooling chemicals settle, if you don’t the compressor (what
allows the fridge to get cool) gets over worked because there aren’t enough
lubricants for it to work smoothly, so the fridge will get really hot and may
burn out. So no matter how long it wasn’t up right, or if it was brought to
your room, before you use it, just let it sit. Fires are bad.
But yeah, back on the topic of shopping. I got jeans,
because I had like 2 pairs before. Lol. Hackley. I’ve gotten bedding and
everything like that, all I have left to get is food and soap.
Major/School
stuff: I’ve already picked my classes (cell bio, gen chem
1, calc 1, black American history, investigative bio lab, and swimming 101) and
have gotten my books. Wooh! I’m going to be a Biological Sciences major, hoping
to concentrate in molecular/cellular biology and I’m planning on exploring
ethics (Bio+Society major) and international relations (would have to be a
minor). On top of that, I’m exploring the concept of being pre-med (I’m going
to go to the orientation for the program when I get up there). I’m not quite
sure what I want to do with bio, I know I like the idea of medicine, and you
guys know about my interest in trying to contribute to achieving proper
healthcare for young girls in developing nations, so we’ll see. I also have
this vision of myself wearing argyle socks and a sweater vest teaching a bunch
of students in college. No. That was a joke. Just no. I’ve already made a list
of organizations that I think I would like to join once I get up there, one
being the Amnesty International one.
Job:
It was an experience. I now know I DO NOT want to EVER be a teacher of
children. NEVER. On the other hand I got to know a couple of our former
classmate’s better, which was cool. I also learned that you don’t always work
with people who take their jobs seriously, some people take advantage and don’t
do what they are supposed to do. Example: Me teaching a lesson to students that
should have been taught by the lead teacher, who was unsurprisingly absent for
an hour doing God knows what. Plus, he was really creepy. Long story.
OH! AND FINDING A JOB ON CAMPUS IS VERY HARD. I’ve
already been rejected from one at the library because they’re not hiring. But,
I got an offer from the dining services, so that’s pretty chill.
My
feelings on going to CU: I’m super psyched. I’m looking
forward to meeting new people and taking classes. I’m kind of nervous about how
big it is, and how hard I hear that my chem class will be, but I know I can do
it! I tend to obsess over things so I’m going to have to not do that…haha… I’m
really going to miss my parents, although it will be nice to be out on my
own. But overall, I’m super pumped, I think
it’s going to be great.
This
summer: I’ve been pretty much in my own head. Reflecting.
Thinking. Listening. I’ve discovered that I have a love for Dave Mathews and
John Meyer. Oh, and I’ve successfully started and failed to run. I’m kind of a
fan. I started towards the end of work to cool off, and the quit because I was
so tired. I’m going to start back up this week since I have no brats running
around me hissing like cats and calling be “Becky”…Again, long story.
I’ll really miss you guys. I know I’m not the
oey-gooiest person, can be quite sarcastic and I don’t cry/laugh at many movies,
but the thought about not seeing you guys for months makes me really sad.
Pce.Lve.Dont.Be.Basic.
Looking forward to reading about you,
Adios,
Kyla
No comments:
Post a Comment